Thursday, February 11, 2010

Wurd Uv The Dae

I can't help it. People who add suffixes where they are not needed tick me off more than is probably sane. So I've got to let it out.

Todays Wurd is fascistic. The source:


The belief system of conversion therapy, that gay people aren't just ungodly and wrong but are inherently damaged and that they can be "healed" or reprogrammed constitutes a fascistic, fundamentalist ideology.


Fascist is both a noun and an adjective. The "ic" added to the end in Strudwick's quote above is unnecessary. Make a f'ing note of it. I don't care what the "online dictionaries" say, every day someone adds a new unneeded suffix to a word and pretty soon you're all going to be speaking gibberish if someone doesn't stand up and say something. Dammit.

Grrrrrr.

1 comment:

David Barry O'Connor said...

You deserve the William Safire award for the observations on word-shifters.
I have a lovely little neighbor around 50+ who having awoken from her reverie of the 60's and 70's is constantly over-verballizing with the nuanced vocabulary.
However, apart from her; there is one term I can't abide: "pro-active".